We believe that living a Christian life includes caring for those around us.
Current Serving Opportunities
Nursery Volunteers are always needed! If you can spare an occasional hour to help watch our littlest members, please contact Dawn Wierenga at the church office.
Bethany Safe Families: Are you looking for an opportunity to serve in a way that will change lives? Check out Bethany Safe Families which partners with local churches to help families in crisis. Parents who participate in Safe Families do not lose custody of their children. Through Safe Families, they are supported for a small time to stabilize them, keep their families together and give them the time and tools to thrive as a family. If you would like more information, contact Project Deacon, Ben DeMaagd
Townline Elementary: Hillside has been partnering with Townline Elementary in the Kids Hope mentoring program since 1999. Hillside members volunteer for an hour each week mentoring an at-risk student at Towline for one hour during the school day. Each mentor & mentee pair is assigned a prayer partner who prays for them and their relationship regularly. We also have Spirit Lifters for all of the teachers at Townline and many of the staff. Spirit Lifters pray for the Townline teachers & staff weekly and send notes of encouragement or small gifts 4 or more times during the school year. If you would like to learn more about what is involved in being a Mentor, Prayer Partner or Spirit Lifter or want to volunteer in one of these positions please contact Maxine Haagsma, the Kids Hope Director. Call (616) 698-0122 ext. 117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The project deacons need help with assisting two people:
1) the move of a senior widow church member on Saturday, Nov 17. We need help of any kind—loading the truck start- ing about 10 am We have a covered truck but need muscle and carrying help. If you can give an hour or more, please let Harold Mast know at 616-262-7268
2) Rides to church for a senior woman.
Our congregation has been very helpful in offering a senior women of our congregation a ride to and from church for years. There has been a consistent cadre of people who accomplish the bulk of this volunteer service. The Project Deacons thank you very sincerely for this extra Sunday commitment and task. But, there continue to be challenges in filling all the openings and we would like to extend this opportunity to all members of our congregation who could spell the committed volunteers for a Sunday or two. We’ve attached a sign-up genius to use to sign up. Servant Leader Dirk Lockward has faithfully served as the coordinator the past year, and would welcome your sign-up! You can click here to volunteer and to pick your Sunday. There are several openings for the rest of this year and there will be lots of opportunities for next year.
We are currently collecting:
– Food Drive (The Pantry) 2nd Sunday of each month (or anytime) bring non-perishable food to the bins under the mailboxes.
– Box Tops for Education (Townline Elementary) Collection box above the church mailboxes.
– Used cell phones -working or not (SafeHaven Ministries) Box is under church mailboxes.
– Paper Gator – recycle newspapers, magazines, phone books, office paper & Catalogs. No plastic, metal, glass or cardboard. (Hillside Youth Scholarship Fund for Mission trips) Paper Gator is outside near Multi-Purpose Building.
– Used Grocery Bags (The Pantry) Collection bin under mailboxes.
– Spartan Labels(Christian Education Assistance) Collection box, a green Spartan truck, is in the kitchen.
If interested or able to donate to any of these collections, Contact Harold Mast email@example.com